Re: [AMC-list] Anybody got a core Holley 1909? Or upgrade? Or rebuilder?

Re: [AMC-list] Anybody got a core Holley 1909? Or upgrade? Or rebuilder?

Yeah, loose screws and sloshing would do it!

There often seems to be one or two little grains of crud that get
through somehow!

> I can pump the gas and the car starts fine, but stalls. I fiddled with
> all the adjusting screws, so probably just need to get them back close
> to where they were. The car runs when I have my foot on the peddle
> slightly, so it must just be an adjustment out a bit.

Sounds like idle adjustment. Most carbs, turn screw in til it stops,
back it out 1.5 - 2 turns, should idle decently enough. Usual
procedure is to set the idle stop (not mixture) up so it idles (even
if it's 1000 rpm) then adjust mixture better (go for max smooth rpm by
ear), then lower speed via the stop screw, ad nausem.

If all goes well, the carb trick is to get the idle stupidly low but
smooth (too low to be usable, but a 'game' parked in hte driveway)
then use the idle stop to set it to 600 or whatever you prefer.

When you are done, check how far out the idle mixture screw is -- if
it's 1 - 3 turns out you're in great shape, ideally it will be around
1.5 - 2. If its WAY out (rich) you might have a vacuum leak or stuck
PCV or something. If it's way in (lean) the carb is leaking gas
internally or something. The latter seems very unlikely here, usually
there's other problems evident.