Re: [AMC-list] Anybody got a core Holley 1909? Or upgrade? Or rebuilder?

Someone may have cranked the screw in too tight at one point and messed up the inner wall of the venturi, which is keeping the throttle plate from re-seating. I loosen the screws on the throttle plate and adjust the plate while looking up from the base to get the tightest fit possible when I rebuild a carb (don't forget to re-tighten them!)
   That's how I get the Carter BBDs to drop idle to the point the motor barely even spins at idle. I have the 1 bbl intake and Carter? carb complete from the '85 2.5L AMC/Jeep Cherokee I converted to Renix TBI (runs real nice now. I think it failed the emission test before because the timing chain was 2 notches off! Feels more like a 4.0 under the hood now) That's on the for sale pile now. Last time it was run was in the fall of last year.

From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Anybody got a core Holley 1909? Or upgrade? Or
	rebuilder?

I rebuilt the 1909 I have about a year ago. It cleaned up nice. I
replaced gaskets and jet - but the idle set screw (or whatever big 'ol
screw it has) seemed stripped out a bit. Turning it in did not do
much. The carb works, and I got some good miles out of it. But I could
not get the idle slow enough. It worked fine for grocery trips and
heading out on the highway, though.

I'm thinking if I pick up a rebuildable and send it in to be
professionally done - hopefully it will address that issue. And I will
keep mine on the car while the rebuildable is out getting done - just
in case the subdivision covenant folks come knocking on my door (want
to make sure the car will start - don't expect any hassles, but gotta
make sure).

I had the tank cleaned about two and a half years ago. Replaced fuel
lines. Replaced the fuel pump a while back - and the filter is pretty
fresh. However - I wanted to see if my fuel gauge was accurate after
replacing the fuel sending unit - so I ran it down to less than an
eigth of a tank. I definately could have picked some junk up.