Re: [AMC-list] AMCRC event, and...now Maintenance

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM,  <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joe,  you hit the nail on the head.

Yeah, that's not my kind of car use, but we all have our own styles.
Some people just go for the look and feel, nostalgia or whatever. Most
of those old stinkpots are only driven to shows and events, or
trailered, and so don't pollute overall like daily drivers would, and
insurance company statistics will reflect that. That's some
consolation. It's not just money, it's a specific skill set and set of
knowledge. It's the mystery of the analog world too, you have to know
a bit of physics to get by.

> Exactly why I put the efi on mine.

Funny, I'm not all that happy with the Howell EFI kit on the Classic.
It's never failed, and runs great, but it has been a PITA to tune. I
have it so it's 129 - 128 across the board, but mileage still sucks.
Plugs read perfect. There's so many interactive tables and I cannot
find anyone who can describe them all. I know there are people who
know them (mainly on thirdgen.com) but no one has ever laid it all out
in one place.

Funny, I wish I had a carb on it now. A Weber 32/36 DGEV Redline kit.
FAR! easier to tune. Also, I like the utter simplicity and lack of
clutter; I drive old cars because I can wrench them and grok what's
under the hood.

I am in Los Angeles, so weather excursions are minor. I drive them
every day, and I don't mind keeping them tuned. So I keep carb cars in
a pretty good state of tune, with lean chokes and white plugs and all
that.

I do realize an OEM type EFI system like the 4.0 is different, no
chipping needed and all that.

I'm thinking that when I get around to shotgunning the Classic (it
seriously needs a cleanup/makeover) I'll yank the EFI kit and bundle
it up, buy a Weber kit, and sell the used Howell kit plus my AutoPROM
setup for the price of the carb setup ($400). Hopefully that can make
two of us happy.