Re: [AMC-list] sparton horns

" From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Speaking of horns, the big 'trend' in Houston is train horns on cars.
" If you want something to wake up neighborhood for mile around those
" will do it. Not sure if legal or not, but I have ooooooghas on several
" of my AMCs, and one has a 'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' old school type siren
" where the wheel spins in middle of horn. But those train horns have
" been catching on for years now, and what is funny is some of the
" people that do use them know the 'signal crossing' horn blowing from
" actual trains of a 'whaa, whaa, whaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaa' maybe ex
" railroad workers.
"
" You can find those train horns on ebay. Not sure what decibels they
" are but can hear them on I-10 over mile away.

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" My 63 Classic wagon has a pair of horns I swiped from a early 1950's
" Studebaker 1-ton or larger dump truck. BIG TERRIFYING GTFO OF THE WAY
" MURDERHORNS. I am still traumatized from when I adjusted them around 1993.
" They're mounted under the front fender, pointing down/forward at a 45 degree
" angle so the sound bounces off the asphalt. They WORK GREAT.
"
" Trains get out of MY way!

i read a posting a few years ago by someone who crammed a pair of
locomotive horns under his jeep's hood.  about every other sentence
was 'these horns are really loud' and 'didja know they're frickin'
loud?'...  i think after all that work he was afraid to use them.

iirc one of the mods involved was converting auto 12v to loco 48v.

when i was a lad i used to hear trains signalling for the new haven /
b&m junction 4 miles away when the wind was right.