Re: [AMC-list] When swapping out the clutch, anything else to address w

Re: [AMC-list] When swapping out the clutch, anything else to address while in that vicinity?

You should pop the flywheel off and have it resurfaced, it's a PITA to
remove and replace six 80 ft-lb bolts, but it is the other half of the
clutch! When you put it back on, make sure the crankshaft butt and the back
of the flywheel are spotless, you want those surfaces FLAT FLAT FLAT
together. My American had three sheet steel bolt lockers (tabs you bend up
around the bolt heads), the tabs were breaking off, I made new ones from
sheet steel. First time I'd seen those in there (I think people just leave
'em off).

You'll have to rig up a way to stop the engine from turning to get those
@!#!#!@! bolts off. 3/4" socket and a big breaker bar. I had a big chunk of
steel with a hole in it that I bolted to one of the bellhousing mounting
bolts, and it jammed into the teeth on the flywheel. This is the hardest
part of the job!

Don't forget, one of the flywheel/crank bolt holes is offset from the
others, just rotate it until all the holes line up.

Inspect the springs on the linkage, you can replace them with generic
springs from NAPA etc, cheap. Throwout bearing of course. Stick your finger
in the pilot bushing hole, it ought to be ... just a smooth hole. Clean out
with a rag, a dab of new grease in there, not much (don't pack it, just a
thin layer). Not much else in there to replace, luckily.

Unless the U-joints are known recent, it's a good time to pop them out. Is
this a T-96? The rear seal isn't directly available, but NWTparts.com has a
workalike replacement. If money's tight you can put this off since the
driveshaft isn't hard to do later. I tend to think in terms of what work to
do when what thing is apart.

 Some greasy jobs are best done right, once! It is possible to get it like
new with not much effort, and last another 80K - 100K.