Re: [AMC-list] Request for pictures of linkage and fuel pump (tom jennin

Re: [AMC-list] Request for pictures of linkage and fuel pump (tom jennings)

Thanks for the info, Tom.   The vacuum lines on the fuel pump are at the bottom, as you said.   And the bolt pattern for the oil pan makes more sense.   I'm curious how you used "Right Stuff" instead of a gasket.   Did you just spray it in place of the gasket and then work fast enough before it dried, or some other method?

Still working on accelerator linkage, but you've been a great help.   Thanks a lot!

> 1)  Which line in the fuel pump connects to the intake?  I also replaced
> fuel pump but foolishly didn't label things.  I don't know that the PO ever
> had this line connected, if not, that may have been part of my problem in
> the first place.

I assume you mean, the vacuum line into the pump, for the wipers? It should
be marked on the fuel pump casting. It might say MAN or MANIFOLD or WIPERS,
etc. If it's caked with grease, wire brush it. Should be right near the
connections. The top section is vacuum booster, the bottom is fuel. I could
look later when I get home.

2)  Which direction do the bolts in the front of the oil pan go in?!   I
> don't remember which direction, I was a little frazzled when I disassembled
> I guess.   Seems a little too tight to go in behind, but I don't know that
> the threads match up from the front.

The bolts from the timing cover into the oil pan on the front edge? They go
in from the timing cover, front, to the oil pan, rear. The oil pan has a
tack-welded strip of steel with tapped holes; putting bolts in from the back
would make no sense. (There may be one or two on each side that takes a nut,
I forget, could look later).

If the bolts won't go in the hole, it's a problem with the oil pan gasket
thickness probably.  DONT TIGHTEN ANY BOLTS until they are all in. Leave 'em
all sloppy loose, then finger tight the front (timing cover) bolts, then
somewhat snug the many pan to block bolts, then tighten the front bolts,
then tighten the pan bolts. You have to walk it into place because the pan
compresses the gaskets in two planes perpendicular to each other (silly). I
used Right Stuff and skipped the gasket entirely.