Re: [AMC-list] What's the link for the HAMB Rambler with the Quad4?

Re: [AMC-list] What's the link for the HAMB Rambler with the Quad4?

Argue away! Sometimes that's the only way we learn anything around here!! You're right -- I was mainly pointing out that most fours will take some kind of body and/or intake mods to fit. When I first looked into swapping in a four I wanted a Mitsubishi 2.6L. At the time I didn't even consider making an intake, but that's a good idea. Even PVC pipe will work (maybe CPVC for hot water), but will need a metal flange with "nipples" to attach the pipe to (use short lengths of flex tubing). A cross flow head would probably work with all PVC -- exhaust on opposite side. Exhaust tubing is easy enough to work with if you have a wire welder too. So it could be made to fit, just requires a good bit of thought and work. Like you said, once throwing in something non-AMC it really doesn't mater where it came from. I'd prefer something newer than the old Ford I-6 too, but it does look more vintage. That 2300/2500 Ranger four looks really good... --------- Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:41:00 -0700 From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> Frank wrote: > The Nissan, like most fours, looks good on paper, but there is only 20.5" > between the front suspension mounts. There's over 27" up top, but the > suspension mounts are roughly 7.25" above the front rails. >

I wont belabor it, and I don't mean to argue at all, because I have not
tried to fit one or taken serious measurements, but as you point out, it's
narrowest down at oil-pan level. There's a bunch of configurations of heads
for that motor; the DOHC head very likely won't fit. The SOHC head might
though, and there *was* some carb intake, possibly a truck setup, or worst
case, aftermarket. When it comes down to it, making an intake manifold is
just not a big deal, pipes on a flange. Could be made out of plastic, could
even be semi-flexible hose on a flange plate, up and over the valve cover.

Then there's the transmission unknown...

But I think these type motors are more apt than iron not much newer than
early 60's stuff. The nation-of-origin stuff isn't an emotional issue for
me; once it leaves the "all AMC" region it's all game to me. YMMV! :-) Subtracting 300 lbs doesn't hurt either! It probably puts the car in
sub-2500 lb territory.

Also, though the quad4 trans adapter is $500, someone's paved the way, and
that's worth a lot! It's not like any of these swaps will be done on pocket
change.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts