Re: [AMC-list] What's the link for the HAMB Rambler with the Quad4?

Re: [AMC-list] What's the link for the HAMB Rambler with the Quad4?

> The Nissan, like most fours, looks good on paper, but there is only 20.5"
> between the front suspension mounts. There's over 27" up top, but the
> suspension mounts are roughly 7.25" above the front rails.

I wont belabor it, and I don't mean to argue at all, because I have not
tried to fit one or taken serious measurements, but as you point out, it's
narrowest down at oil-pan level. There's a bunch of configurations of heads
for that motor; the DOHC head very likely won't fit. The SOHC head might
though, and there *was* some carb intake, possibly a truck setup, or worst
case, aftermarket. When it comes down to it, making an intake manifold is
just not a big deal, pipes on a flange. Could be made out of plastic, could
even be semi-flexible hose on a flange plate, up and over the valve cover.

(You should see how tall the Weber+airfilter+adapter is on the 195.6! It's a
bit comical. Just clears the hood... makes the old WCD look like one of
those squat 4bbls :-)

Then there's the transmission unknown...

But I think these type motors are more apt than iron not much newer than
early 60's stuff. The nation-of-origin stuff isn't an emotional issue for
me; once it leaves the "all AMC" region it's all game to me. YMMV! :-)
Subtracting 300 lbs doesn't hurt either! It probably puts the car in
sub-2500 lb territory.

Also, though the quad4 trans adapter is $500, someone's paved the way, and
that's worth a lot! It's not like any of these swaps will be done on pocket
change.