Re: [AMC-list] 1979 AMC FREON?

The evap unit (under dash) needs to have an expansion valve setting that
matches the freon type in order to be optimum. That's the "design" issue of
new vs. old AC systems. The other part of course is that 30 - 50 year old
A/C systems are usually worn, dirty, etc and need a big overhaul. Condenser
fins bent, plugged with dirt, etc. Also factories got cheap with condenser
size (more is always better here!) in some years.

I had h134a in a 75 gremlin with a factory evap and condenser, new Sanden
compressor -- in Tucson AZ. Now if you want car AC done right go to
Arizona!!! It worked GREAT and would freeze you in 100 degree F weather.
System was flushed and had some new hoses.