Re: [AMC-list] 5.7 Hemi in an American

> From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 5.7 Hemi in an American

> There's a guy on the AMC Forum with one in a late Javelin. It's tight in that, and it's slightly wider than an American. The 4.7L V-8 should be slightly narrower and should be a better fit. <snip>

That may be so, but in (my thinking at least) from a modern performance standpoint, the 5.7/6.1 would be the way to go.  I guess to make it happen you would need to expand the engine compartment via a Mustang II front end or the like.  From an economic standpoint, that 390 is looking pretty good...

Still would be neat to see one in there, just not sure it would be me if the front end needs to be revamped.  Of course, these days doing the M-II frontend is pretty much common and while no "kits" are probably available for an American, I wouldn't think it's all that big a deal to put one in there, or have it done.  I don't think it's better really from what you could stiffen/make the oem suspension better, but would need to be done for a project like this.

The Mustang crowd puts the 4.6's in the early Mustangs and that engine is much wider than the 302/351, so the M-II front end is a must.

Jim Boone
Mims, FL