[AMC-list] moar 195.6...

I got the head back yesterday, and it looks great. Finished off the center
exhaust port box-in, seems to work OK, I'll weld it in tomorrow. Cost $306:
3-angle valves, new guides, guides cut to accept modern chevy stem seals
instead of those old umbrella jobs, and installation of the valves. I was
going to do it, but they wanted to make sure all the seats were concentric
etc and it was in hte end easier.

Put all the trivia on the engine, all the plugs, oil filter mount, etc. The
last detail is plastigageing the oil pump and any final grinding there, then
pack with vaseline and seal it up.

Lost the brand new oil pressure relief valve parts (spring, plunger),
ordered new ones from Galvin's, I'm sure the original will show up after I
get the engine in.

Last and hardly least, I installed all the head studs, and popped the head
on for a quick check (no gasket). Big relief! Stud selection was done
by-the-book and measurement, it was nice to have it all work out right. I
backed out one stud at each end for a nice easy target to drop the head on,
that worked out fine.

With the head, valve cover, trough plate, adapter and Weber on, the motor
sure looks cool and silly on the stand.

Also popped the top on the trans, cleaned off the two magnets out that I'd
installed on the oil return troughs (minor crud) and changed the oil for the
hell of it. Put 20W-50 synth in it this time, I'll see how it behaves with
such runny juice. Cleaned up and inspected the flywheel, clutch parts,
linkages, etc for reinstall.

I still find it odd the way the clutch behaves, all in at the top of the
pedal, and one-finger pedal pressure. From what I hear from everyone this is
totally normal, but it's disconcerting. I momentarily contemplated moving
the pushrod or pedal pivot position to change the leverage but I came to my
senses before any needless work was done.

When I finish off the oil pump, the motor will be ready to go in. Maybe
Saturday! Then I have a lot of wiring to do for all the foolish changes I
indulged in.

I took the week off (plus I have 'furlough' time to burn off -- thanks
California) and I'm making the most of it!