Re: [AMC-list] Simple Pleasures or utter frustration....

Re: [AMC-list] Simple Pleasures or utter frustration....

It looks like it was the switch. The gauge set I ordered came in (gotta love real parts stores that can get stuff the next day) and after at least 30 minutes of running, I had 25 PSI at idle. I did notice pulsing with it (got better as it got hotter, was about a 5 PSI pulse at its worst and about 1 PSI when I shut it off) but I think that has more to do with it being a gear type pump than anything else. Once it quits raining, I want to drive it around a little bit to get the oil good and hot to make sure.

Speaking of the gauge set, it has 2 gauges with it. One goes up to 50 PSI, the other goes up to 600 PSI. If I need to do any pressure tests with an automatic transmission, I'll have the gauge to do it. If not, I'll have a neat looking gauge set.

Matt

On 3/22/2010 3:13 PM, tom jennings spouted this sage advice:
Damn! [expletive not deleted] Every old car owner's worst fear. Let's hope
it's the !@!$!@! sender. Sudden total oil pressure loss would mean something
like the pickup cracked and fell off, right? If you cut the motor in time
you could have no harm done, though a severe inconvenience.

I too have an old SW or Summit mech. oil gauge. When I put the motor in our
74 Hornet, I installed it under the hood, T'd into the dash light hole. I
checked it at startup and for a few weeks then removed it.

No way I run mechanical gauges (except vacuum) any more, they always cause
problems long-term, but they're handy things for testing.

Harbor Fright, I simply don't shop them. Too low grade. But you don't need
high accuracy, an AutoZone or Kragen gauge kit would suffice, 50 vs 60 lbs
doesn't matter, 50 vs 5 does.

I hope this turns out well!