Re: [AMC-list] Energizer Cam

" From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" 3.73s would make first gear completely worthless in the T5, as you said
" about the .8 overdrive, I've got the wrong T5 for that...first in the T5 is
" 3.35.

my mistake.  i thought when you said 0.63 5th you had the 2.95 1st.

mid '80s nissan turbo z cars had a 0.78 5th with 3.35 1st, and there's
also a warner oem 0.83 5th, used on the #1352-254 wc t5.

if i had the tranny apart to swap 5ths, i'd also put the countershaft
stabilizer in from 5speeds.com.

" I think it would be like what we used to call a super granny low gear
" in farm trucks, just to get it rolling, then shift into second.

that's low enough but not nearly a proper granny.  it's valuable
enough for saving clutch wear-and-tear at stops.  many cars today have
very low 1sts; mercedes widely used their nsg370 in cars, even 2dr
convertibles, and it has a 4.46 1st.

all large and many medium duty trucks have granny gears, because of
their low power-to-weight ratio.  they really are useless at anything
above a dead stop, but the step to 2nd is usually also big and
potentially difficult on a grade.