Re: [AMC-list] SMOOTH RUNNING

" From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I don't how good the torsional damping was, because he broke a
" crankshaft at Bonneville last year and that sent him early.

maybe he needs to invest in a fully counterweighted billet crank.
balancing each throw independently in this way minimizes the unbalance
forces transferred between throws when you depend on them to cancel
each other.  it would also reduce bearing loads a little.

btw this is not the same as conventional balancing, which usually
means as a unit.  an i8 crank with no cw at all balances just fine, as
a unit - but then it depends entirely on cylinder forces, transmitted
through the crank, canceling each other.

" Joe Fulton
"