Re: [AMC-list] quick ratio steering

From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"My '70 Hornet, a 'stripper', had a fast steering box in it -- 2.5 turns lock
to lock. Really. It was NICE! 108" wheelbase, to the AMX's what, 98? Well
under 3 turns, and yes, it had the right steering stops in it. No signs it
had ever been removed/replaced. I'm convinced it was factory. Requested
option or top of the pile? We'll never know.

"I hate power steering though, hate hate hate. Feels like those drivers ed
machines from the 70's, or stirring a pot of water with an oar. My Classic
and AMerican both are manual, steering effort is good for you. 17" factory
wheel on the CLassic, but a 15" Mooneyes green metal flake on the American.
"Suffer for beauty" I say. Makes for a strenuous workout in a rally I can
tell you. I had blisters on the second day. I wish it were a faster ratio,
but on that car, there is simply no choice. If there was, I'd buy gloves."

My dad had several Ramblers in the 1960s, a purple 62 Classic wagon comes to mind, but it did not have power steering and we used to laugh at the grunts, groans and occasionly curse word that came from him as he drove it. Later in 1970s I would buy a 68 Javelin with regular steering and it took hurculean effort to turn it....but that was because the front end was shot, the tires if you looked at it dead on were // \\ . After rebuilding the front end and having it professionally aligned it STILL was a bitch to turn, mostly due to the oversize tires I had on it; larger than what the Javelin came with.

On the other hand, I had several Gremlins and Hornets without power steering and my guess is by the early to mid 70s, AMC had worked out the steroids so one would not have to be bulked like Sosa or Mcguire to simply turn into 7-11 parking lot. Even wife Paige used to drive a 73 Hornet without power steering and it was rather effortless. Same occasional grunt, groan, and curse words however my dad used from 1960s 30+ years before, however that was mostly aimed at the car not having air condition in Houston summer, not because of the workout with the steering.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com