Re: [AMC-list] Not done with Freeze Plugs yet

I had a brain fart when I wrote that the metal was poured in there and stand humbly corrected! Armand is 100% correct...

-------------
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:47:51 -0600
From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Frank said "They plug the holes used to pour molten steel or aluminum into
the mold for the block (or head). "

I said
As long as we are being really anal about "freeze" plugs, and because it was
mentioned we like to learn things on this list, and because it was mentioned
about getting a lecture or something like that, I guess I better add my
coins to the discussion.

Actually the "holes" that the plugs fill are NOT where the molten metal is
poured into the mold. The holes filled with "freeze/welch/core" plugs (I've
heard them referred to as soffit plugs too) is actually the hole that the
sand is removed from. The molds that cast iron blocks are poured with is
made of casting sand. There I said it and I'm done.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts