Re: [AMC-list] Not done with Freeze Plugs yet

I popped a rod in my old 4 dr Hornet years ago and kept driving it for a couple years after that on short trips. Someone banged into it and I took it off the road and let the kids bomb around the back field with it till they played demo derby with the farm truck (it was parked)

From: Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Rambler AMC, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Not done with  Freeze Plugs yet

I agree, it is actually nice to get to the real reason those plugs exist.
I wondered about the "where they pour the metal in " line as isn't that
commonly call a spru (SP?) and that is machined off?

I wonder why they made such large ones for the aluminum engines?

P.S. I agree with TOM, Daves engine realy needs a very, very careful examination.
They were known for blowing head gaskets, go figure, and other isues with sealing.
You really want to make sure there isn't anything hiding in that block
before sinking a lot of time and money into it.

My 63 770 Classic went about 106K, when it's head gasket popped, dad replaced it.
A few thousand miles it went again. He pulled the file and found it had seen quite few headgaskets over the years.
We tried yet again, by that time the bearings had had enough, it siezed a rod, and popped a rather nice hole in the block.
As is commonly told, yes I drove it home on 5 cylinders. All I heard was a loud clunk and the engine was missing and spraying some oil, but still ran so I drove it home!

Mark Price