Re: [AMC-list] Aluminum 195.6 Freeze Plugs

The computer at NAPA calls them Freeze plugs and so did the computer at Ford at least 10 years ago when I worked there. (I just sold some today)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Aluminum 195.6 Freeze Plugs

Just a little nit to pick here!! Those are Welch plugs or core plugs, NOT "freeze plugs", though that's what they are commonly called. They ARE NOT to protect the block from freezing. They plug the holes used to pour molten steel or aluminum into the mold for the block (or head).

I don't know how the term "freeze plug" came into being, but it's firmly entrenched into automotive lore more than "Ramblers were made from parts bought from other US car makers". Some lucky guy went out and found one or two popped out when his engine froze, I guess, or people were just guessing to begin with. I have YET to see ANY auto maker's technical literature refer to one as a "freeze plug", nor any engineering papers. It's an "old mechanic's tale", and if the plugs popped out and the block wasn't damaged due to freezing you're one lucky SOB!!