Re: [AMC-list] Not done with Freeze Plugs yet

Re: [AMC-list] Not done with Freeze Plugs yet

> Armand, thank you.  But I have a question:  Since the aluminum blocks
where die cast (presumably molten aluminum was injected into a die under
pressure) why was a core hole necessary?

> Joe Fulton

Sorry Joe, I just realized I didn't directly answer your question. From what
I've been able to gather, many newer aluminum engines, and some cast iron
engines too, no longer have core holes. I was asking a mechanic about
installing a block heater in the core plug hole and he said,    on that
particular GM V-6 the only core holes were behind the flex plate at the back
of the engine, where it was not possible to install a heater.  I think that
melting out foam core method has been used for quite some time actually, and
many of the core holes have been eliminated. To be very honest with you ,
I've never really looked that closely at the side of many of the modern
engines to actually verify that ! And didn't really care ! Most of the V-6s
I've seen out of cars were covered in goo and were obviously mistreated.

Why do my posts get so dang lengthy? I must need some AMC fellowship and
warm weather.

Armand