[AMC-list] 195.6 ohv build.... slow(er)

Man this stuff takes forever.

Gotta go see if the head is done tomorrow, but I've got stuff to do still.

Kanter packed the wrong exhaust valves in the box. The test of a good
business isn't not making mistakes as much as it is what happens when they
*do* -- within an hour they had IDd the problem and shipped out
replacements. The replacements came with an RMA and printed shipping label!
Good deal.

(Turns out one of the Kanters used to be an AMC factory parts manager, he
knew about our nice old 195.6 ohv and all it's crazy variations.)

I have the oil pump mods all worked out finally. Basically I've made a
replacement top cover out of 1/4" steel plate with a welded-on 1 x 2.5 piece
for (1) room for the drive gear oiling and (2) 1/2" of threads for the
outlet. Will grind it flat flat flat tomorrow with paper on a ground steel
plate. I'm going with "oil cooler hose", it's 300 psi/300F rated. The hose
barb business doesn't overwhelm me with aerospace confidence but I'll do a
paranoid clean job with double stainless worm clamps and it should be OK.

The EDIS spark wheel is attached and looks great. I'll break in the car on
the distributor though. The Corvair guy's trick is to have both ignition
systems in, run the car off the distributor. Then set the EDIS wheel
position so that #1 fires at the right index point. Then turn off the car
and switch ignitions, it'll be spot on.

Gotta complete the alternator bracket and find the right belt size, but
that's all easy when it's on a stand!

The new water pump I'd bought many moons ago fits, but the hub was 3/16" too
far out, but I managed to press it down to the right height. Nope, didn't
hammer on the impeller! The number of small but serious parts variations on
this engine is incredible.

Got two 12" electric fans from Summit, totally sexy mount, attaches to the
sheet metal each side of the radiator, such that they are 1/8" - 3/16" from
the radiator core, and 1" from the grille. There's no room in there for one
big one, and the two 12" jobs fills the grille air inlet space. The radiator
can be removed/installed without touching the fans.

I got my computer fan controller all tested and working. The fan speed
varies with head temperature, when cold it runs at a minimum speed.  It
starts to speed up just below the thermostat temp, and runs at full speed 10
degrees over that. There's a knob for that right on the box. I built it into
the old generator voltage regulator! It uses the Arduino controller, $29
retail, and a fancy-pants automotive 'high side driver', VN920, $5. Fan
speed varies smoothly over a few seconds. It does a 5-minute cooldown when
the car is turned off, setting the fan speed proportional to how hot the
engine was when it was turned off. I tried to address all the electric fan
behavior that made me nuts in the Hornet. Software to the rescue!

I swear, someday I will drive it again.