Re: [AMC-list] question for more

ya, i tested the plug wire. it has a good hot spark at idle. (screwdriver
stuck in the end of the wire and close to the valve cover screw.) it fires
when accelerating. i think i messed up the head gasket while putting the head
on. low compression, oil in the water, tells me it was my screw up. no water
is showing in the oil however. i have new pistons i want to put on the rods
from the aluminum block. i would like to know if i would have a problem using
my ring installer, to pull the rings off them old pistons, and put them on my
new ones. there was NO ridge in caspers cast iron block, i think i could get
the pistons out with no problem of breaking a ring. i would like to hear more
input, but from what frank said, maybe just try it, and if im lucky and dont
break a ring, i may be ok? would i have a problem getting the rings to seat,
or should they seat just fine like the first time being run?
the machine shop i use, the old gray beard there builds a lot of drag race
motors, tractor motors and old car motors. he always oils cylinders and
pistons when installing them, and says to get the motor primed, timed as
close as possible so it will atleast run, and carb primed and all, so it
SHOULD fire imediatly, and as soon as it fires, to run at 1500-2000 rpm for
about 10 min or so. (get up to operating temp and then about 5 min after its
at temp) then drive it with light load for 20 miles, then 100 miles at 50-75
mph fluctuating speed. i never got casper on the road. it has only run about
15 min or so at high idle. never run down the road yet. TICKED ME OFF still
hearing the knock. eh, it will work or it wont i guess. save me another $110
or so for rings again. just means that much more to spend somewhere else on
the motor. dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules