Re: [AMC-list] question for more experienced engine builders

By all means re-use them, but leave them on the pistons and rods. I'd get the one with the knock (if you know which!) resized though. They can do that without removing the piston. The problem with removing the pistons is one could crack in the press. Easy to break rings trying to remove them too. Rods and pistons are the same for the AL and CI engines as far as I recall, crank too. No fire until 2K or more sounds like a bad plug wire or plug, not rings. Water in the oil is most likely the head gasket, of course. Could be that one cylinder leaking from the head gasket and not creating enough compression at low speeds causing the piston not to fire, but I wouldn't think that likely unless the head gasket has a gap in it. Two cylinders with the same low compression means one leaking into the other, which is where a head gasket is typically thinnest. Yours could be bad into the valve area though, also a thin spot there on the 196.
-----------
Date: 1 Mar 2010 04:36:23 -0000
From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx

ok, so, RM has struck me again this afternoon. i went out to tinker with
caspers motor again. some may remember, i lost a rod bearing, put a re-ring
kit in it, and still have a knock, and have also lost a cylinder. i think the
cylinder problem is caused because i messed up the head gasket. i had oil in
the water today. so, my RM question. probalby bad juju, but just maybe
possible. the brand new rings in caspers motor. would it be wrong to pull
them pistons, and re-use those rings? there is only about 15 min of run time
on this motor. i tried to break in the rings, but can only get #1 cylinder to
fire over 2k rpm. less, it may or may not fire. just hoping that i MAY be able
to re-use these brand new rings in this aluminum block without having to spend
more money.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts