Re: [AMC-list] Valve cover switch?

I did the swap on mine, but it takes a different cover than earlier ones. They changed the pattern mid '81 when they went to plastic covers. I got mine from a 4 wheeler store (just tell them it's an '84 CJ with 4.2L)
   You have to thread the holes (they are already there) I got my cover second hand and bought double sized studs, threaded the holes for the bigger (5/16" IIRC) and had the 1/4" portion sticking up. A bit of JB weld to keep them in place (except on vehicles where you can't roll the valve cover off, like Pacers for example) I have minor weepage because I didn't use sealer when I did it (in a hurry, so I used Grey Permatex with the gasket on one side) but it isn't more than 1/4 quart in 2,000 miles.

From: Richard Estermyer <javelinman74@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc mail <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] Valve cover switch?

Can anyone tell me IF the 258 valve cover w/2nuts on top that hold it down can be changed to the set up with the bolts around the edge, instead?

The rebuild on the 82 Concord Wagon has the 2 studs on top and it is leaking already.  Sure would like to go to the other set up and thought I would ask before taking it apart to find out.  THANKS!

Blessings,
Richard
Richard Estermyer