Re: [AMC-list] all's quiet on the western front

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 18:04, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Darn! Forgot all about the head in that last reply! The head failure is
> because the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/etc. owners didn't know to retorque the head
> every other year/10-15K miles.

Yeah, but I did, and I did, and I have water in the oil. And the head was
checked for cracks,  and if it cracked from that one time I overheated it
for 5 minutes, that's sensitive indeed.

Until I pop the head and get it checked (again, I'm not bolting that onto a
new motor without checking) I won't know. It's hard to imagine a crack that
leaks that much water without any other symptoms (perfect 600 rpm idle with
19-20 InHg), I'm guessing something else 'went'.