Re: [AMC-list] all's quiet on the western front

Re: [AMC-list] all's quiet on the western front

Darn! Forgot all about the head in that last reply! The head failure is because the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/etc. owners didn't know to retorque the head every other year/10-15K miles. If you don't sometime around 20-25K it's going to blow, depending on length of time too. Even if the car is just parked and not driven the head should be torqued before it's put back on the road or run with a load much at all. For that reason I say it's a maintenance issue. Studs might be the answer, as the L-head (and the OHV is a modified L-head block, 2/3 of the top of the block is identical) never had a head gasket problem. All I know of have had the head gaskets replaced over the last 20 years and I don't think any have been retorqued. Never heard anyone with an L-head mention it anyway.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts