Re: [AMC-list] all's quiet on the western front

The M series had a 75 mm (2.95") bore all the way through the 3M (M, M-E, M-T, 2M, 3M -- 1965-1980). That alone makes it 3/4" SHORTER than a 196, but I think the overall length of the Toyota six is still more than the 196, but I could be wrong. All those were only 2.0L (1988cc, 121 cid) except the 2M, which was 2.3L (140"). At those sizes, may as well consider a four cylinder. Either way the width of the left size is a problem due to clearance at the spring tower. The 79-88 5M and 5M-GE are 2.8L (83.1 mm bore); 6M-GE is 3.0L with a 91 mm bore, 7M-GE and 7M-GTE 3.0L with 83 mm bore and longer stroke. The "T" is for turbo. The OHC drive adds some length, but these might not be too long. But as I mentioned, width is a big issue. The Ford 240/250 fits and the size is a bit bigger too. The 200 should be at least the equivalent of the 196 in power, but has a bit more potential due to parts availability.
------------
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 23:27:04 -0500 (EST)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

imho another candidate is the m-series i6 in '92-earlier toyota supras.
by the time it got to 3 liters it had a pretty long arm, which makes
me think the smallish bore is all it had room for.  trannies used are
toy's vers of the ax5, ax15, and aw4.

that's if you don't go with a ford 200/250.  btw someone's reproing
the hard to find aussie/argentinean 12-port head in alu.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts