Re: [AMC-list] Paint formula

Here's a paint chip scan on the website of a supplier:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1966-americanmotors-pg01.jpg

Note that the PPG code is the same as the Ditzler.

The above supplier is about as cheap as any paint supply I've come across.

BTW, many NAPA stores can mix auto paint (Martin-Senour brand, I believe); and many major cities have Sherwin-Williams automotive divisions.  I've sprayed S-W in the past and it's as good as any of the majors.

Be careful with mixes off the code, though.  Modern color formulations seem to be substantially different than 40 years ago, and it's really rare that a paint mixed from the code actually matches the existing paint.  A scan, plus some fiddling by a good, patient paint mix man, is the best way to get a good color match.  When I worked in a body shop, I used leftover paint from previous paint jobs to bring a color mixed from code into a close match.  Strangely enough, my boss, who was a dynamite paint man (his ENAMEL paint jobs were as glassy as a lot of urethane clear coats are now) but he couldn't match worth a damn (he wasn't color blind but he said he couldn't detect shades of a color very well), so he'd get the paint delivered and leave me alone with it and the car for thirty minutes or so until I got the color right for him to spray.

It really hasn't gotten any better, because scans pick up the metallic in paint differently than the color molecules, and so on.  With Apollo Yellow you won't have that issue, but it won't hurt to pick up a pint of premixed white, green, and red so you can adjust your color as needed when you get it home.

-- Marc