[AMC-list] transaxles, etc... auto, but OT

[AMC-list] transaxles, etc... auto, but OT

This is off AMC topic, but the post below is so damn interesting I thought
it deserved forwarding anyways. After my last post I did a quick google for
'mid engine transaxle' and found it. Scroll down to post from
'SportsCarDesigner'

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3293&start=15

VERY interesting brief on GM's design-reuse in driveline parts through three
very different transmission/axle setups. Oh how I love good design
conservatism! Conservatism at this level amounts to extreme innovation!
Seriously, the hollow input shaft business on the Corvair transaxle to
preserve rotational direction...

Just sayin'.

But that same approach shows a pathological unwillingness to look much
further afield. Yeah, I know it's a business and has to make money, but a
big one has a responsibility for R&D... as time has told us. Brilliant
engineering here though. Except for that flexible driveshaft business. I
know two Olds owners 'still looking' for parts related to that failure.