Re: [AMC-list] Mid-Engine AMX

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 16:17, Armand Eshleman <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oldsmobile toranado transaxle mated to a V-8 works pretty good I
> understand....

Yeah, but they're boat anchors. Two boat anchors! HUGE! HEAVY! And automatic
only I think. Apparently tough though and well done.

No V8's for me, so 200hp capacity would be enough. Something furrin' might
work better, there's not much post-war driveline innovation in the U.S. up
til recently (blasphemy? give me examples besides: corvair, f85, toronado,
eagle, ... vette is recent)

Some friends & I talked about eagle front in the rear, but that has it's own
problems (eg. reversed rotation for starters).

It's interesting too, how easy many things become when you stop worrying
about super-maximum horsepower. Things stop breaking, and weigh 1000 lbs
less. They don't necessarily go much slower either, unless 1/4 mile stuff is
the only measure. Then flat out power wins flat out.

Trivia for you: said friends and I could come up with no mid-engine, FRONT
drive cars, at all. Except the Dymaxion, and that doesn't really count.