Re: [AMC-list] brake rotors was rosie went for a drive

Re: [AMC-list] brake rotors was rosie went for a drive

Brake economics...

The price of a scarebird kit, brackets and all the parts from RockAuto, is
just under $450 including shipping to Los ANgeles. THat's for all new
rotors, loaded calipers with core charge, hoses, etc. Not including added
hassles of dealing with front/rear balance that just changed. I wonder if
the new parts are lighter.

Currently, rotors and loaded calipers for a 79 AMX V8 (bendix discs) at
RockAuto are $50 each unit, for $250 total cost. So even if rotors go to
$100 each it's still cheaper to stick with AMC parts, assuming you now have
an AMC disc setup.

But if you do not have an AMC disc setup on the car, and want disc brakes,
it's about 15 minutes before the break-even point where scarebird + newer
parts are the same money and hassle as AMC parts.