Re: [AMC-list] brake rotors was rosie went for a drive

Re: [AMC-list] brake rotors was rosie went for a drive

Mark's point is well taken; if it's a weekend car, a $100 brake drum every
10, 15 years isn't too bad really.

Parts is parts...

There's expendables, and there's "hard parts". My ramblers are my only cars
and I drive 15K miles/year or more so I have to plan ahead like crazy on
this sort of stuff. I look for crazy bargains and will "stock" (packrat)
ahead when the price is can't-refuse ($10/set brake shoes, $3 brake hardware
kits, water pumps, etc).

The world market and internet access now means you can actually "see"
supply-side stock and price oscillations that mean rare-but-sell-well (high
prices) turn into dump-cheap-no-one-buys-it low prices and at that point,
that's the end of the mainstream source, time to buy! After that, the market
is owned by the AMC/Rambler parts suppliers who had the foresight to
stockpile "worthless" old AMC parts, incurred all the expenses therein, and
now charge top dollar. No complaints here, they kept the parts through thick
and thin, know and love (and drive!) our cars and deserve our money.

Hard parts, I like to have a spare for rebuilding; just got a steering box
and steering linkage, for example, I'll rebuild those at my leisure and swap
in. Cores last a long time and this stuff isn't too hard to get.

Rubber is the scariest. There's no point in buying rubber more than 5, maybe
10 years old, and even there it's near dead. Lack of seals will eventually
kill my cars. I already make some suspension parts. I'm seriously thinking
of researching what it would take to preserve seals; I think it's largely
oxygen in the air that ruins them, so an A/C vacuum pump then fill with
Argon/CO2 (cheap welding gas...) in a gallon paint can might work.

Depending on the car, door, window and set-in glass rubber is already
unavailable, though you can usually work in a generic replacement if you're
not too fussy.

I'm saving a couple of sets of old suspension bushings; you can cast your
own urethane now (with low-expansion or low-shrink materials), while I don't
like urethane it beats no bushing! Those parts are small and if it never
comes to that there's no penalty.

This is another thing in favor of the AMC sixes; being so damn popular there
won't be a parts shortage for quite some time.