[AMC-list] Axles are DONE! (was: Rust Removal - Axle Dipping Idea with C

[AMC-list] Axles are DONE! (was: Rust Removal - Axle Dipping Idea with Citric Acid)

Hey guys,

I was originally going to de-rustify and paint my FSJ axles at home, but as we discussed, it wasn't all that quick.  So, I hauled the axles to a sandblasting shop in Fraser, Michigan, that did my CJ5 frame YEARS ago, as well as more recently blasting the 15x8 Jeep wagon wheels for the Guatemalan Grand Wagoneer.  One day and $150 later, I have two sandblasted and primered axles.  $55 per axle for blasting and $20 per axle for primer.

I taped off a few critical areas, like the Warn locking hubs and the brake lines and breather vent hoses, so sand wouldn't get inside them.  Then just had them blast and primer everything else, since I'll be redoing the front and rear brakes.

For those of you local to the Detroit, MI area, PB Pollocks is well worth getting your stuff done there. They are CHEAP compared to some of the local competition, are a family run business, and specialize in blasting REALLY, REALLY, BIG STUFF ... like say a Semi Truck Trailer.  The smaller stuff like axles is a cake walk for them. :)

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/amundaza/330%20AMC%20STROKER%20BUILD/100_0976.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/amundaza/330%20AMC%20STROKER%20BUILD/100_0977.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/amundaza/330%20AMC%20STROKER%20BUILD/100_0978.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/amundaza/330%20AMC%20STROKER%20BUILD/PBPollock.jpg