[AMC-list] Rust Removal - Axle Dipping Idea with Citric Acid - Got a NEW

[AMC-list] Rust Removal - Axle Dipping Idea with Citric Acid - Got a NEW IDEA!

OK guys,
I have done some deep thinking today about how to go about de-rusting the axles.  I realize that I don't need to SUBMERGE them to do it.  I hit a few local stores and picked up submergible POND PUMP for $44 and am using it with some rubber tubing I have at home (from a fish tank cleaner) and fittings that attach the hose to my oscillating lawn sprinkler, set on the "center" setting.

I am going to take a plastic 55-gallon drum and split it in half lengthwise, then silicone the ends together with a half-moon cutout, then screw them together to make about a 6.5' long "tank".  I'll put jack stands down inside, set the axle UP on them and then fix the sprinkler to a 2x4 above, which I'll move along the axle to "shower" the citric acid solution down over the rusty parts, to de-rustify them.  I'll speed up the de-rustification process using a livestock tank/bucket heater, to heat up the water.

I have a few pics of the preliminary setup on line at http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=110547

I'll post up more pics as I get the setup put together and then up and running.

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor
Rochester Hills, MI
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer "TRMN8R2"