Re: [AMC-list] spark lead question for tuning experts like Nick Alfano..

Re: [AMC-list] spark lead question for tuning experts like Nick Alfano...

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" Someone with dyno experience ought to know this stuff by the seat of their
" pants, me I'm stabbing in the dark...
"
" When you have a motor dialed in, just how sensitive is it to ignition lead
" timing when it's under heavy load? In other words, if you have the timing
" dialed in reasonably close, how many degrees away is detonation? How much
" power is lost is it's retarded another degree or two or three?
"
" I know it will vary with combustion chamber and compression and a whole slew
" of factors. But for "sort of stock" or stock motors, how touchy is maximum
" ignition timing, power-wise?

i know that most stock motors don't have nearly enough lead for best
power; that's a big reason why recurving kits are popular.

" Bottom line is, how close to detonation should one push timing before it's a
" waste of time?

the nascar guys always used to say they run fastest just before they
blow up...