[AMC-list] spark lead question for tuning experts like Nick Alfano...

[AMC-list] spark lead question for tuning experts like Nick Alfano...

Someone with dyno experience ought to know this stuff by the seat of their
pants, me I'm stabbing in the dark...

When you have a motor dialed in, just how sensitive is it to ignition lead
timing when it's under heavy load? In other words, if you have the timing
dialed in reasonably close, how many degrees away is detonation? How much
power is lost is it's retarded another degree or two or three?

I know it will vary with combustion chamber and compression and a whole slew
of factors. But for "sort of stock" or stock motors, how touchy is maximum
ignition timing, power-wise?

Bottom line is, how close to detonation should one push timing before it's a
waste of time?