Re: [AMC-list] SoCal TT videos (Sunday)

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 00:16, <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i watched the videos before i read the statement of what was on the hood.
> that
> thing is COOL lookin. :-D

Thanks! I just got the urge to MAKE SOMETHING! and that piston was staring
at me on a little shelf I have of exploded/ruined parts (like T-96 gears,
...) Just started cutting and grinding and welding!

> the videos make it look like lots of fun. i dont
> know if its my speakers, or the video recorder, but it dont sound right.
> wish
> i could hear that motor sing a little better.

Yeah, audio sucks. It's just the built-in mike in the camcorder on the dash,
and it's overloaded so it sounds bad. Some of them sounded OK played back on
a computer with BIG speakers (home stereo). It's a funny exhaust note
though, that oddball cam with a turbo muffler, 2.25" pipe that exits in
front of the rear wheel.

> the car looks like it really
> does handle them corners great considering what it is. and you werent
> kidding
> about hammering on it eh? and yet, still driving to work and home every
> day.

We all joke about how these cars tilt when you go around a corner, right? It
is comical, and true. THe funny thing is, when you really THROW it into a
corner, it flattens out! I swear, I am not lying, I never drove this thing
hard before this past weekend, I just figured I'd be tagging along at the
back of the pack. It just stayed flat, behaved great, understeered far less
than my old autocross car (!) and... was predictably gutless. So I'm gonna
turbo it for sure.

No mysterious noises, klunks, misfires (though the carb run dry 100 times
around corners). No squirrely behavior. My Hornet, hard cornering made the
car lean totally into the front inside tire and  it plowed. V8 Spirit with
lowered stiff springs front and rear and Yoko A001's did the same thing
(less).

Someone said they smelled brakes so I will see if that was mine and if I
cooked the shoes. If so, I'll get the hot rod brake shop to make me ceramics
if possible!

Yeah, it ran fine on the way to work this week, but I didn't think of the
car quite the same as the week before.

If someone told me these Americans would handle well I would have thought
that they were... wishful thinking. I just went for the ride!