From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:14:37
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] AMC weekly trivia

This past Wed. I had to buy some metal from Industrial Metal Supply, for
students to ruin and cut their fingers on, etc. As I pull into the lot in my
'63 AMerican, there's this guy gawking at the car (rare in Irvine, I mean
rare that anyone looks). Totally nice guy, name of Ron, turns out he's the
guy who owns and built that totally sweet '59 AMerican wagon, black, shaved,
spotless driver/show car. He's owned his 15 years, used to drive it
everywhere (Orange County to San Francisco, etc). Flathead six and auto.
Great guy, we talked rambler crap til we both had to be responsible and
pretend we were on our way to work.

Had a really "good" scare today -- stopped at a hardware store, got back in
the car, starts right up -- OIL light flickers and stays on! KRAP!! Turn it
off, look underneath for a puddle? Nope. Open the hood... oil pump still
there... look at the sender... a piece of baling wire bent into a big "U"
shape dangling over the wire, shorting the fast-on to ground. Sheesh!
Where'd that come from?!

Wangled some inappropriate part into being a hardtop pillar/roof door seal.
Silence! Put on a new fan belt, old one was two years old, still good, but
hey, building for reliability means not waiting for wear parts to fail. It
becomes a spare. Now I can actually hear the sound from the amplifier I
installed, and rain won't get in from that place.

Sunday, 650 mile rally begins! 24 cars in the line up, don't know what they
are though. There's one Nash Metropolitan, so there's at least one car I can
beat, unless the driver is actually good. I used to SOLO II autocross, but I
sucked.