Re: [AMC-list] T-96 mechaneolontology

The knockout was most likely there for the E-stick, which had the clutch level on the right side so it would be just behind the oil pump. You can replace the seal in the bearing retainer without removing the front bearing or pulling the input shaft out. That is if there is a seal. I don't seem to recall one, but Tom has had more recent experience and will probably answer. The rear sear pops out like any tranny rear seal. There are no seals between the trans and OD units, they use the same lubricating oil. Not much mixes from one to the other IIRC, and they both have drain plugs, but oil can freely flow from one to the other.
----------
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 18:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I thought I'd better check out the transmission I was planning to put in the 64 Classic before I actually disassembled the car. It's a used transmission, T-96 w/od, that came from a 64 classic last owned by a lady in Hollister, CA with a very tired 195.6 ahead of it. The transmssion appears never to have been tampered with. There was some lancelot turquoise paint still on the bell housing and it appears to still have an old throw out bearing ahead of it perhaps original one. It bearing is stamped Nice Bearing Co. in Philadelhis, part no. 640X where the X might be a 9 or an R. The Borgwarner overdrive unit is an R10 which I believe was the unit used in many brands of cars in sixties. The bell housing has a knockout plug in it to convert it to allow the throwout lever to be mounted on the right side, presumably for export cars. My questions: Can I replace the front seal and the rear overdrive shaft seal to prevent leaks without a whole lot of disasembly. I do have a TSM but if I do disassemble the tranny how do I pull the front bearing without damaging the gear assembly behind the bearing? The TSM shows a special tool for holding the rear assembly in place while pulling the bearing.
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts