Re: [AMC-list] T-96 mechaneolontology

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 18:15, Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The good news:  I pulled the top cover and the gears and synchronizers and
> shafts look like new.  No chipped teeth or anything.  It doesn't look like
> it was ever run down the road, really.

That's good news!

Can I replace the front seal and the rear overdrive shaft seal to prevent
> leaks without a whole lot of disasembly.

No front seal at all! There's an oil slinger, but oil runs through the front
bearing. There's a drip hole below the bearing for it to run back into the
case. The nose that the TO bearing runs on has a backwards thread groove in
it such that normal trans rotation tends to push the oil IN.

They leak when they sit for a long time, I assume especially so when parked
nose downhill! There's a paper gasket under the nose. If that was seeping,
personally I'd wash it with brake cleaner super good and mash grey silicone
in there with my finger to seal the seep. Probably last another 50 years
that way.

> I do have a TSM but if I do disassemble the tranny how do I pull the front
> bearing without damaging the gear assembly behind the bearing?

You can't get the input shaft out until you take the output shaft out, so
that it can tilt, which of course means complete disassembly.

>  The TSM shows a special tool for holding the rear assembly in place while
> pulling the bearing.

The bad news is the rear seal is no longer available from anywhere. THe good
news is that nwtparts.com has a work-alike seal that isn't quite as robust,
but works fine. YOu could even put two in. I did mine while fully
disassembled, but if I recall you could do it without any special tools and
probably even while on the car. I assume dealers and factories aren't
willing to do the sort of fiddly one-time work us hobbiests are capable of.