Re: [AMC-list] Torque tube T-14?

The T-86 was the HD option for the 196 powered cars. I suspect the HD option might have included the V-8 torque-tube and AMC 20 axle, since the T-86 was also used behind the 287. No hard evidence though. A shorter input shaft may have been needed to fit the six bell. I know the six bells are about 6.5" deep and the late V-8 bells are about 8.5" deep, but have no idea how deep a Gen-1 V-8 bell is. Or maybe AMC made a deeper bell for the six and used the 287 drivetrain as the HD option? I'd get the input shaft length of that Ford T-86 -- that might be just what you need in the Classic! An old Tex Smith engine swap book I have states that all the Fords that used OD had the T-86 trans. I bet the 390s had the similar but stronger T-89 though!!
--------
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:36:06 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

I've never seen a T-86, but there's a Ford job on ePay: item 180414797099.
Looks like a T-96 but 6-bolt cover. Says the overall length -- 34 1/2". Not
buying it or anything, just looking.

I'm fishing around for two transmissions, neither is immediate need:

* beefier trans for a turbo nash-can motor (say 175 hp)

* a RELIABLE manual trans for my torque tube six Classic wagon. T-96 is too
tiny for that but is all that's available for the six.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts