Re: [AMC-list] Torque tube T-14?

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" The T-14 does fit in the hole in the bell -- exact same input shaft and
" pattern. I've got a '69, used, from Joe and it's pretty decent. Much shorter
" than a T-96 though with it's long tail to accomodate the OD.

i got my '74 [fine spline] t14 to swap for my original t96 with a
longer [though called 'short'] early '70s yoke, 5.5" vs. 3".  same
u-joint, filled the space perfectly.

i didn't have to worry about a torque tube though.

" No one I know has ever seen a T14 + OD. Now that would be perfect for me.

i -heard- of one, years ago in florida...	:^/

" I've never seen a T-86, but there's a Ford job on ePay: item 180414797099.
" Looks like a T-96 but 6-bolt cover. Says the overall length -- 34 1/2". Not
" buying it or anything, just looking.

i believe the ford ones have the same almost-square bh pattern amc
ones do, 5.75" x 6" iirc, different from the t96/t14 anyway.

i've heard this is what started the engine swap adapter biz in the
'60s; someone realized he could put a ford 289 in his willys wagon by
putting a ford input shaft into the jeep t86.  it snowballed from
there.

" I'm fishing around for two transmissions, neither is immediate need:
"
" * beefier trans for a turbo nash-can motor (say 175 hp)
"
" * a RELIABLE manual trans for my torque tube six Classic wagon. T-96 is too
" tiny for that but is all that's available for the six.
"
" For the former, the Pony adapter and T-5 is the way to go (hot rod it). For
" the latter, who knows.

for either a t14 or a t5, you might be able to do something starting
with a 2wd mainshaft but a 4wd extension case, by machining a block of
metal to bolt onto the t/c flange and take the tt coupler, etc.  this
does assume you can find a yoke to go with the mainshaft and match the
combined length of the t96, as i did with my t14.

or if you can find a 232 stick car in a jy --

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" The T-86 was used behind the little 196 as the heavy duty option.
" The 232 got the T-86, same as the 287 V-8.

same bellhousing block pattern.

frank, i'm thinking if you'd found an entire '64 232 stick drivetrain
for your '63 4.0 swap, you wouldn't have had tranny problems and you
might never have been pushed into the extensive drivetrain mods you
ultimately did!