Re: [AMC-list] My upgrades/conversions

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the bell housing bolt pattern in the block. The block is taller also, so you can't make a 258 out of a pre 71 block. you could certainly put a 258 crank in an earlier 232 block, but you'd need custom pistons with a higher pin height to make up for the extra 1/8" of block height. That is if you can move the pin higher in the piston without hitting the lower ring groove. Or find some rods that would work and do whatever machining is necessary. Could run up to just a little $$$!!!

-----------
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:34:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

i'm starting to like jim's idea of a '71 258.
'70s-'80s have marginally better ports but '64-7 has the best
chambers.  i'm thinking your head on a '71 block with '80s pistons
[they're taller for good 'squish'].

is the '71 crank actually different from later 258s?  it would be in
the flywheel bolts...  maybe a '71 232 could be rebuilt into a 258
with later crank and rods.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts