Re: [AMC-list] My upgrades/conversions

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" I'm pretty sure the only difference is the bell housing bolt pattern
" in the block. The block is taller also, so you can't make a 258 out of
" a pre 71 block. you could certainly put a 258 crank in an earlier 232
" block, but you'd need custom pistons with a higher pin height to make
" up for the extra 1/8" of block height.

remember, '71 was the one-year-only tall block with early bellhousing.
it's a straight bolt-in for his '64 232.  i was hoping to widen the
field of suitable engines, but if the '71 258 crank is unique that's
it.

" Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:34:32 -0400 (EDT)
" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
"
" []
"
" is the '71 crank actually different from later 258s?  it would be in
" the flywheel bolts...  maybe a '71 232 could be rebuilt into a 258
" with later crank and rods.