Re: [AMC-list] Generic windlace and window seals?

Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx> said:

>I need to replace the windlace and window seals on my '65 American. I
>know model-specific parts are available, but they are out of my price
>range right now. Is there generic windlace and window gaskets folks
>use? A low-buck, almost no-buck solution? I want to take care of the
>windlace and window gaskets, but I'm still trying to save for a
>clutch.

The "model-specific" windlace that at least two of the AMC hobby vendors sell don't even look like the originals; it's not as thick.

Your best bet is to head to your favorite salvage yard and go straight to the AMC section, and take all the windlace from a Matador right up to 1978.  It's excellent quality and is physically about the same size (thickness) as what you have on your 65 (although it's made of rubber over steel spring, as opposed to the weave over spring on your 65.

The window seals can be replaced with generic types but you'll have to experiment with them.  It's usually less of a hassle just to get the repro seals.

-- Marc