Re: [AMC-list] Distributor

I have points in my 67 American and an Ignitor in my 68. I don't think I picked up any mileage with the Ignitor but the car is easier to start cold and idles a little bit smoother than it did with points. The biggest things you get with an electronic ignition is less frequent maintenance. With points, you'll need to adjust them yearly with regular use and need to re-set the timing afterwards. With an electronic ignition, you don't need to do that. You can also run a hotter coil and wider gap plugs with the electronic ignition which can make for a cleaner and smoother running engine and also helps the plugs last longer.

Matt

On 9/19/2009 10:22 PM, Thomas Garner spouted this sage advice:
Ok, this originally started in my intake/exhaust string, but I figured it was a question of it's own.

So my choices for distributor seem to be:

1. A late model six Autolite.
2. A points distributor with a pertronix setup(I think that was it.)
3. A points distributor with an Ignitor electronic ignition conversion unit.
4. An HEI setup from a 75-79 250/292.(using the gear off of my current distributor.
5. Just keep my points distributor.(Is there an advantage to changing to electronic ignition?)

I think that was all my choices.

Now I may open up a storm of opinions by asking this, but is one better than the other? By switching to an electronic ignition setup, what do I do? Just swap the distributor and hook up a hot wire or do I need a new coil or some other module?
Besides keeping my current setup, which one is cheaper?

FREE SATELLITE DISH AND INSTALL!!
http://www.bestofdishnetwork.com/

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH