Re: [AMC-list] 343 Rogues...is this right?

Re: [AMC-list] 343 Rogues...is this right?

The beefed up structure is a mid year 1968 change to meet new crash-worthiness requirements (the requirement had to do with steering column intrusion into the passenger compartment). Most of the front structure of the car (including the floor pan) was changed to meet the new requirement.

My early 68 has the same underside as my 67 American. I looked into this at one point and couldn't find when this standard took effect but most safety things take effect Jan 1 or June 30th so I would guess all cars made after Jan 1 had this.

Matt

On 9/19/2009 4:23 PM, Sandwich Maker spouted this sage advice:
" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
" " [] " " So what about the 390 powered SC/Ramblers? Those coupe bodies have all the heavier convertible bracing in them. The inner rockers and the rear seat back brace are heavier. I'm sure some other components are stronger, but those are the only two I know of for certain.
all '68-up americans got reinforced; my '68 199 2dr has front subframe
rails running all the way to the trunk.  on my '66s they ended under
the middle of the floor.  iirc the '68 firewall area was also
redesigned for greater strength.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com