Re: [AMC-list] Distributor

" From: "Thomas Garner" <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Ok, this originally started in my intake/exhaust string, but I figured it was a question of it's own.
"
" So my choices for distributor seem to be:
"
" 1. A late model six Autolite.
" 2. A points distributor with a pertronix setup(I think that was it.)
" 3. A points distributor with an Ignitor electronic ignition conversion unit.
" 4. An HEI setup from a 75-79 250/292.(using the gear off of my current distributor.)
" 5. Just keep my points distributor.(Is there an advantage to changing to electronic ignition?)

hotter spark - better fuel ignition.  no points to wear or adjust.

" I think that was all my choices.
"
" Now I may open up a storm of opinions by asking this, but is one better than the other?

i'm told the autolite/motorcraft/duraspark ['78-up btw] will run
without a ballast resistor, especially if you do the 'tfi tuneup'
[srch internet], but they had ballasts originally.  hei doesn't, and
amc sixes up through '67 don't.

" By switching to an electronic ignition setup, what do I do? Just swap the distributor and hook up a hot wire or do I need a new coil or some other module?

the hei - at least the one i used - has the coil in the cap and takes
12v straight; you can use your coil wire.  i was told that unlike most
hei, the chevy inline dist usually does not have the coil-in-cap.
dunno if the difference is more than a parts swap.

" Besides keeping my current setup, which one is cheaper?

my used hei from a junkyard was pretty cheap.  i may have been lucky
it wasn't junk.  likewise a jy duraspark would be cheap.  new/rebuilt,
i think they'd all come out pretty even, $50-ish.

i think 'ignitor' may be the name of the pertronix [brand] product.

btw starting in '80 [i've been told], gm switched from mechanical
advance to electronic control, so while there are later inline hei you
can't use them without an ecm.  otoh if you were interested in a tbi
mod one might be just the ticket...