Re: [AMC-list] Ebay intake/exhaust

I found a possible source for new vacuum advances. The connector issue causing running problems is why AMC dumped it and Motorcraft probably had a better backup plan that "cut the connector and solder the wires together"

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Ebay intake/exhaust

I don't know so much about "worked okay at the time".... That's the one unit I would go out of my way to replace. AMC only used it for three years for a reason -- they did give some trouble. I don't know how much, once the electrical connector had been replaced (that two prong connector is probably a generic parts store replacement) it was okay, but then easy to blow the vac diaphragm. I'd definitely get a later model six Autolite distributor for it, or use an earlier distributor with an Ignitor electronic ignition conversion unit. The Ignitor replaces the points (in an older points distributor, of course). It simply screws in place of the points and uses one extra wire to a switched 12V source. Unless your car uses a ballast resistor just connect the wires to the coil, as there should be switched +12V on the coil + lead. Most of the 64+ sixes will have 12V at the coil.