[AMC-list] Door Work Today

Last week I discovered that the inside driver's door remote control was stuck fast and would not open the door from the inside (65 Rambler American)  This car has been a trial but I'm trying to work on it regularly now and hope to get the VIN verified and back on the road this month.

After removing the door panel I discovered one problem with the remote control and one problem with the latch itelf.   Pics below:

The remote control appeared to be frozen in place with rust and also had a broken return spring.   The Kroil may have helped the shaft to turn, but of course the broken spring meant the part had to come out.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=auction11487.jpg

This picture shows the back of the control after it was removed and the broken torsion type spring (for want of a better term)

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=auction11492.jpg

I also discovered that the latch itself was frozen by rust on the pivot that the inside remote control operates.  It opened using the outside door handle easily.   The picture shows the rusty pivot.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=auction11493.jpg

I have several spare doors lying around from Classics and Americans but the American doors were from a 2-door car and the remote control operator is too long.  So I found a 63 Classic/Ambo door from a 4-door and the dimensions seemed right.  I pulled the remote control and compared it to the part from the later American.  The dimensions for the remote contro rod are the same but there are difference.

The Classic spring mechanism is different and actually looks more durable.  There is a coil spring down in the recess which the actuator compresses instead of the torsion type spring on the later car.  I don't know why AMC made this change.  It looks like a change for the worse

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=auction11498.jpg

The 65 American has a cylindrical bar as the actuator rod which requires a guide on the door panel and the earlier car has a flat bar with which is stable without having a guide.  Again I don't know why AMC would build a more complex assembly when the simpler one seems to work fine.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=auction11496.jpg

There is one final difference which might be in improvement.  AMC started using door handles that were fastened with those countersunk allen screws in about 1964.  The remote control that I ended up using was for from a 1963 Classic and it still had the door handles fastened by that u-shaped retaining clip.  I have door handles to fit so it was not a problem.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=auction11497.jpg

I put the door back together and it works fine.  Now I need new door gaskets and window sweeps to stop the rattles.

Joe Fulton