Re: [AMC-list] crap, did I ruin my 195.6

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 08:17, <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> my vote is for rambler mentality. retorque the head, get the lower hose
> fixed,
> refill with coolant, and keep an eye on the water level, plugs, and oil. i
> had
> that happen once before. i had to be driven back to my house to get
> truck/trailer for casper. i had driven about 5 miles with it dry.
> everything
> ended up just fine. they are a very tough motor really. hope you got lucky.
> why tear it down if you dont got to?

Well in the morning...

The rebuilder puts these temperature sensitive tabs on the rear freeze plug
(to cover their own ass I'm sure on returned heads). I'll check that after I
get out there. If it's fallen off it got way too hot. If it's there... I'll
see.

Why tear it down? I might anyways. Here's my reasoning: I have spare heads.
For like $200 I can have an already-magnafluxed casting put together and
simply not have to worry about it. They are rugged! but it's a 50 year old
antique. Assembling a head and swapping it is what, a handful of
predictable, straight-line pleasant-enough hours, not a steamy mess on the
side of the road, a tow, and surprise hours, plus no water in the oil and in
the bearing surfaces to make me worry about the bottom end. And if it turns
out the current head was OK, I can just pop the valves back in their
original holes (I'll put on new seals, what the hell) and hardly any money
wasted (valve seals, gaskets, etc) then I'll have an assembled known-good
spare head.

I run my cars hard, and I'm gonna rally this thing, the last thing I need is
a cast-iron problem on a desert mountain road.

ANd I think I know how to fix those mild dents that happen in radiator hose
necks -- that hard, grey, silicone. Sanded to brass, levelled with the grey
stuff the hose will grip it just fine.

--
All of your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.